New performance Metric - the Daily Athlete Score (DAS)

I can’t see the strength metric either, I only have a speed metric available. Up until now, I’ve completed 18 hell weeks out of 125 perfect weeks, and around 90% of them were strength or muscle gain journeys. Therefore, not having access to a strength rating feels a bit unusual.

I’ve earned 2 Running God badges (from two years ago) compared to 58 Bodyweight God badges (x1, x2, x3). Is the speed metric calculated based on the Bodyweight Gods achievements? Are these two Running God badges also taken into account?

Why strength metric is not available in my case?

@Pawel The DAS uses only data from the last 90 days so I don’t think your running god’s from two years ago have any impact. I think it’s more about the speed of your bodyweight gods then.
If you don’t see it either I think it’s more possible that it’s a bug

@Pawel
Did you train since the release?
Update is happening after the next training.

Could you give more information about the Strength score? There’s a huge difference compared to Speed score (wich kept the same value as the Performance score before the uptade).
If both metrics are calculated in comparison to other Athletes in the same demographic group, shouldn’t they be similar, or at least no so discrepant?

2 Likes

I assume you mostly trained in a bodyweight journey over the past weeks. That would explain why the strengths metric has a drop-down. If yes, that was the same for me. My overall score dropped because of the introduction strength metric. I’m currently in the weight free gain.

I’m on a weight training journey. Ok I understand now that since I’m training with weights and not body weight or running it won’t give me the das.
Thank you for your reply.

1 Like

Hi there,

any chance to switch off DAS or opt out? I achieve PBs, I am usually at the lower end of the given time range, I have a consistency of 97 despite not missing a sessions since starting, and yet the score deteriorates. I find this score frustrating and it doesn’t help me to motivate myself or get me to train.

Cheers,

Uwe

2 Likes

I completed a workout yesterday, and the DAS has been updated as you advised.

The second point concerns what @uwwo and the others are attempting to say. The DAS doesn’t work well; in fact, it causes more harm than one might think. It unquestionably offers us no real assistance.

As an illustration, my DAS is at 70:
Performance: 60 (speed 64 and 57 for strength)
Consistency is at 80.

This might give the impression that I’m a beginner or something along those lines, when in reality, I am not. Or perhaps (?) I’m misinterpreting the Freeletics community’s potential…

I’m uncertain whether individuals with a strength level of 57/100 can easily perform +10 strict muscle-ups consecutively with perfect technique, and perfom them for 4 rounds with some other exercises as regular interval (1 of 2).

Or manage 25 handstand pushups with flawless technique and no breaks. Or accomplish 40 one-hand pushups without challenging myself. Or do 600 pushups in a single training session with other excercieses. Or complete 1000 single unders with a jump rope in under 12 minutes. If achieving Zeus in 25 minutes or x3 Tantalus in 30 minutes is considered 57 out of 100 - then that’s acceptable.

I’m uncertain about the DAS score individuals who can barely manage 20 pushups in a row with correct (not perfect) technique would receive. However, I’m confident that they would look at their DAS score (10-15?) and become demotivated to continue training.

The DAS is plainly highlighting how WEAK you are in comparison with some God-level athletes. And it’s not conveying anything about how you’re performing or what your progress looks like, which is the most crucial and the only metric that truly matters.

7 Likes

So I lose points for not choosing a journey with weights? I’m on a bodyweight journey, but with a high consistency/speed score and setting new PBs weekly.

VERY frustrating training so hard and losing points. :dotted_line_face:

4 Likes

First, thank you for the feedback regarding the Strength metric in the current state of the DAS. We understand that some of you, especially those who are already at a high fitness level, might find it demotivating to be compared to top-tier athletes (including professional ones). However, we want to emphasize that what truly matters is the consistency of your scores over time and how your performance evolves in the coming months. Fitness progress happens gradually, and expecting rapid growth within just a few weeks is not realistic. We’re actively monitoring the distribution of the strength metric across our database to gain insights into where it’s heading. This will help us to take decisions about any necessary adjustments. Remember, this feature is in development and will continue to evolve.

Currently, the highest strength score can be achieved through bodyweight exercises like pushups, pullups, squats, situps, and their variations. Additionally, weight-based exercises such as bench press, squat, barbell row, deadlifts, shoulder press, and dumbbell side bend are also taken into account. It’s worth noting that training with weights is not mandatory to achieve a high score. If you’ve observed a decrease in your overall score since the introduction of the strength metric, it’s because this particular metric is lower than the others (for the reason explained above). And it’s probably the case for a lot of us.

To explain the behavior on Pawel’s case. Achieving 10 muscle-ups is indeed impressive and would classify the user in a high tier for that exercise. However, to reach the top tier, a likely threshold could be 15 or more repetitions for individuals weighing less than 100kg (yes your bodyweight is also taken into account).

Only the maximum repetitions performed consecutively in a single attempt are counted in the current calculation. This means that, for instance, in the Zeus workout, the score would be based on 20 pullups, 30 pushups, and so on, all done in one go, not the total. We’re aware of the limitations of this approach, especially when the coach doesn’t specifically encourage maximum repetitions. Rest assured, we’re committed to addressing this aspect in our future updates.

Lastly, regarding workouts like Zeus done within a time frame or multiple Tantalus rounds completed in 30 minutes, time is not a determining factor for the Strength metric. However, it does influence the Speed metric.

I have tried to make it as clear as possible about the current state with enough detail to understand the logic being applied. Thank you all for your input, and please know that your thoughts are being heard as Freeletics evolves.

Keep the feedback coming!

4 Likes

Unfortunately, DAS doesn’t provide us with insight into the progress we’ve made over the last few months. I’ve been writing about this for 2 months now, and you’re turning a deaf ear to my words.

Indeed. Where did the idea come from to implant in people’s minds the score x/100, knowing that this number will stay with them for months or even years? Someone, in their own self-assessment, which is crucial (!), believes they are in their prime. And you, with your still underdeveloped algorithm based on selective data, chosen in a way only known to you, assess this prime state, for example, as 45/100. Do you know what you’re doing to your users’ minds?

Can you imagine Apple giving your mother a score of 43/100 in their Health app?

Do you know why 43/100? Because somewhere else, in Florida or Osaka, there are women her age who have much better health - 85/100. Now add to this story - an example that your mother works hard for her “43”, making challenging choices every day, and what you label as “43 - you’re old, ailing, and average, or even below average / not in the top tier,” is an absolute life achievement for her. Can you envision such a feature introduced by Apple?

I intentionally brought up this example so that you finally understand that there are people there, and you have the privilege to observe their journey towards their dreams. And these dreams and this journey can only be evaluated by them, for their own mental well-being.

And you can and should do everything to support such a person, to cheer them on and remove all possible obstacles from their path, so that this person - let’s say your mother - pursues her gold, grows every day, and reaches her peaks with the greatest enthusiasm and joy. Without thinking that she’s old and below average. Just because she’s at 43.

The levels that you want to hide and remove from the app are actually the greatest advantage of Freeletics and the reason why it clicked. Do you know why? Because yesterday I was at level 5, today I’m at 6. And by the end of the year, I’ll be at 21. Do you understand what that means? It’s an indicator of my progress.

When you look at someone who’s at level 180, you know the distance they’ve covered. It’s inspiring. This level has another advantage, it’s not something granted through assessment. It’s earned by moving forward. Day by day. And it INCREASES day by day. Unfortunately, the DAS won’t increase. At some point, you hit a wall that you can’t break through. Genetics, physical ability, health issues, the equipment you have, the time you have, your lifestyle, and so on, all limit you. And you see 43, and you’re doing your best. And it’s still only 43. Do you understand?

Luckily, Apple doesn’t design their products in that way and would never show something like that to their users, even though they could.

Of course, we are aware of that as well. Can you continue working on DAS without burdening us with this process? This functionality is causing controversies. It’s not a situation of “let’s move the icon from the left side to the right and then let see what’s next.” You’ve implemented a user rating system and you’re evaluating how it works. I’m not entirely sure what you’re evaluating, our reaction to DAS? I don’t need to see those numbers, why are you showing them to us? How are they supposed to help me? Will they improve my training for me? Will I draw conclusions from them and then what? Will my muscles start recovering faster and getting tired more slowly?

This is a disgrace. If one of the more strength-focused God workouts doesn’t determine the strength indicator, then I don’t know what does…

Doing 30 pushups… And doing 30 pushups in the final round of Zeus, those are completely different 30 pushups, and if you think that has anything to do with speed, you’re wrong.

6 Likes

Oh, is it so that the levels are going away? I hope not. As rightly said above, they are great because they are infinite. And because they are an indicator of progress and in part, consistency.

2 Likes

Pawel said it all.

DAS is not helping us, it is NOT WORKING as a motivator.

Setting a HARD new PB and seeing your performance score drop is a big let down!

I know I am not an athlete, but i’ve evolved, I’m better now!! But the app goes “Yeah, you did fine but, you know, are not that good, and to remember you that, we are going to take some points of your score.”

NOT NICE!

Before this update I was motivated by pusuing other people’s times. I knew they were better and that timemark was all the incentive I needed, not a big “YOU ARE NOT 100” score.

I suggest moving into the “experimental features” menu, at least until this feature is fully developed

5 Likes

Oh, they aren’t infinite. They are limited by 200 (at the moment). There already was a boundary (I guess it was 120?) which was moved to 200 after several athletes reached that level.

Levels aren’t an indicator for progress - they are an indicator for using the app. An athlete can reach level 100 without doing one single pushup, burpee or squat - by simple perform regeneration intervals with foam roller :person_shrugging:

I’m absolutely by your side: the DAS isn’t neither an indicator for anything nor motivating.
It simple doesn’t work the way it was expected.

4 Likes

Hm I see, but then that’s just a technical detail that can be fixed easily, conceptually they are infinite, i.e. they can go up, but they cannot go down. This is more of an argument for comparing it with DAS than anything.

P.S.: If someone reaches level 100 with foam roller, they deserve it for their consistency and persistence :grin:

4 Likes

You’re right. Levels/experience points aren’t perfect. But in many Freeletics users, they have instilled a habit and helped build consistency. Which matters to keep user retention at the right level.

The very idea of doing more than just levels/progress in Freeletics was v e r y e x c i t i n g for me. I couldn’t wait to see how it works and where’s going. The disappointment was significant because DAS does it poorly, and much has already been written about it here (…)

I’m curious how many gamers would stop playing their beloved games if the game provided them with a rating of their skills instead of a progression system.

Hi @alex_nunez
A fix regarding the timezone issue in the consistency metric calculation is being deployed. From now on, any future trainings should be saved in the timezone you’re in.
This fix, however, doesn’t change any old trainings retroactively, meaning these will still be shown as they were before the fix.
Let us know if you still notice wrong behavior for that topic.

Great news! I tried it today at 19.00 local time and it works well.

1 Like

What is the right moment to schedule actual week?
I normally train using the Coach on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
This Monday I woke up feeling not great, so I rescheduled my Monday to Tuesday.
On Tuesday, I realized I was sick so I rescheduled my complete week to only train on Saturday and Sunday.
I always rescheduled in the morning and I guess this is a common behaviour when recognising you can’t train this day.
Today I did a small welcome session and saw that my actual persistency score dropped to 94 - because it says I missed two sessions. But I didn’t. I just postponed the alleged missed sessions to later - before end of that day.

Is this a wanted behaviour? In case it is - please remove this. This would make the DAS absolutely unworldly. A missed session should really be a planned session which really was missed not a session which was rescheduled before missed.

3 Likes

I’ve posted about it in Jun 27:

DAS: Let me introduce myself :wink:

3 Likes