New performance Metric - the Daily Athlete Score (DAS)

My health: hold my beer :joy::joy::joy:

Perhaps other athletes are same opinion that reschedule shouldn’t be treated as miss and this behaviour will be removed or fixed.

4 Likes

I don’t get this discrepancy between speed and Strength scores…

If I have a high speed score in comparison to other Athletes in the same demographic group as me, based on god wkts, how can I have such a low Strength score?

Yesterday, my Strength score was at 38. Today I’ve set a new Artropos PB and my Strength score dropped to 27. :clown_face:

How exactly do I get a high strength score with these exercises? I already do them through the coach, every day. They are on the god workouts also.

If I have a high speed score, which is based on god workouts that consist in exercises like pushups, pullups, squats, situps, wich are the metrics to the Strength score, why these scores have such a gap? What are the others doing to get a high Strength score?

This is not clear to me. An individual exercise, like 50 pushups, would count more to my Strength score than a Zeus workout because it has only 30 consecutively pushups?

I just want to understand how the strength metrics works.

3 Likes

Crazy thing: my persistence score healed itself :person_shrugging:

Did your score also heal itself?

Another day and one more PB.
Gained 1 speed point but lost another strength point.
It doesn’t make sense to me.

Although successfully completing all 5 workouts planned for the week, my rescheduled workouts are still a missed day. Also, a missed day caused by a timezone bug is still a miss.

^ That was a few days ago.

After yesterday’s workout, my DAS is at 72:

Performance: 54
Speed: 64
Strength: 45

Consistency: 91

Yesterday’s workout included 64 Muscle-ups. I’m not sure, but it was probably the largest number of Muscle-ups repetitions during one interval I ever did. Even though, my strength dropped from 57 to 45 :grin:. During last 2 months my strength incressed decently. DAS has different approuch about it :wink:.

The funny part: I rescheduled my workout 2 times during this week, I shortened my workout week by 1 day, and guess what? My consistency increased from 80 to 91.

I’m quite certain that algorithm for consistency has changed, and now the rules are less restrictive.

The aspect I find problematic about the entire DAS development process is the establishment of rules, defending them to users, and then changing them regardless.

It might be more beneficial if they test this epic feature in a closed beta with carefully selected users of diverse profiles using TestFlight, similar to what the Superlist app does, before releasing it to the app store as a regular update.

I approach using the app as a “tester” quite differently from using an app as a regular user, where I demand quality, reliability, and stability.

Perhaps labeling it as “BETA” would suffice, with key information that this specific feature doesn’t impact my workouts, and the Coach assesses my performance, etc. And I can choose whether to participate in this BETA or not, depending on my individual decision.

Freeletics workouts are fantastic. I love them. As long as the algorithm for planning the next training sessions works as well as it does now, I will continue using this app. It’s one of the most important apps on my phone for many years, and that’s probably why I care about it so much.

2 Likes

I’m quite sure every release is tested with beta users first (I’m one on Android) before completely rolled out to all users. :wink:

The DAS isn’t a small piece of code and logic, I guess. So I’ll give it time to round. To test it to beta only until it is round, would mean no updates for several weeks or month. And then there would still be the danger that many aspects wouldn’t be noticed by a small group of users. In my opinion is the selected way of introducing and developing the DAS (with feedback and requirements of the daily user) the right one.

My feedback on the the different aspects of the feature.

TL;DR

Keep Consistency Score and Previous Workouts Calendar; remove the rest.

Consistency score - great (caveats below).
The Freeletics app motivated my technique and effort, but it was lacking focus on consistency until this score was introduced.

Previous workouts calendar - great.
I used to adjust my workouts based on time and mood. Friends asked how often I trained at home; I’d claim 3 times weekly. The calendar revealed my actual average: 2.2 :exploding_head:. Now, with this data, I commit to 4 sessions weekly.

Caveats:

• Consistency score should be unaffected by day swaps, maintaining session count. Looks like this is being addressed.
  • Consistency score should be unaffected by fewer days of training due to health reasons. Allow giving this feedback to the app.

Strength score - even if you improve this, and it startes taking into account bodyweight exercises, etc., I find it discouraging. A score that is low, compared to other athletes, is demotivating. Seeing your score go down is demotivating . If your strength is down, there is probably little you can do with sheer willpower. Focus on session motivation, skip the score.

Speed score - beating your own PBs is motivating, seeing where you are on the leaderboard among your connections could be motivating. Conversely, I don’t think that a score comparing you to other athletes is.

DAS - If I am working out independently, I want detailed data about my trainings. I am not trying to choose a hotel out of several hundreds on Booking. Why do I need a composite score of performance?

4 Likes

With the DAS I think being able to put in the option “I’m sick” would be even more relevant. If you have a sickness or an injury it’s in your best interest to not continue training and thus let the DAS decrease even more.
I know it’s very motivating for some but being punished with an even lower DAS because I’m listening to my body and preventing a myocarditis or a further injury shouldn’t be punished…

4 Likes

This point was discussed internally in the early stages of development, and since the DAS is meant to reflect your fitness level over the past 90 days, it should also reflect that in case you have to take a break due to injury, illness, or other reasons.
Athletes will (most likely) not always be at 100% of their capacity, and that is fine. If your score takes a dip because you have to take some time off from training, so be it. You’ll have a chance to get those points back in the next few months.

Hello @here,
We are releasing a new performance metric in the Daily Athlete Score for iOS and Android users: Stamina

Stamina is the ability to sustain prolonged physical effort. The score is based on the number of repetitions performed within a set. Each exercise has a predetermined Stamina threshold, which is a number of repetitions (currently 10 reps). Only repetitions performed above this threshold are included in the calculation of the Stamina Performance score.For now, we will only consider the following bodyweight exercises:

• Squats
  • Lunges
  • Burpees
  • Pushups
  • Knee pushups
  • Situps

This means you must perform more than 10 reps of these exercises in a workout set to count towards your Stamina score.

The change will be visible after your next session, and on the latest version of the app being gradually deployed until the end of the week.
As always, any feedback is welcome!
:clapclapstatic:

2 Likes

It left me speechless

1 Like

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks for the update. I’m still a bit confused about the new Stamina metric. Can you please explain it in more detail?

Thanks,
Mark

This is so true. Looks like the tried to add a score without much more validation into it.

Is there a difference between the number of repetitions taken into account on the Stamina and Strength metrics?

@mark1998, @loaht,
the stamina metric is currently calculated depending on how many repetitions you can do in one set in the frame of God workouts, Single exercises, Coach assigned exercises and on demand workouts, of the following exercises: Squats, Lunges, Burpees, Pushups, Knee pushups, Situps.
Are excluded: Warmups, Cooldowns, Stretching.
Only the reps above 10 are counted. Below, it will not impact that metric.

The exercises taken into account for the Strength metric calculations are:
Pushups, One arm pushups, Diamond pushups, Handstand pushups, Archer pushups, Pullups, Muscleups, Squats, Pistol squat, Squat jump, Situps, Toes to bar, Leg raise, Hanging leg raise, Bench press, Back Squats, Bent Rows, Deadlifts, Shoulder press (“Double Dumbbell Shoulder Presses”), Dumbbell Side Bend (“Side Bends Left”, “Side Bends Right”)
Your bodyweight is also taken into consideration.

A few of these exercises can be found for both Strength and Stamina, for strength it’s how many reps done, but for stamina it is how many above 10 are done that will be counted.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information!

Same here, I find this metric an important one (for sure if you are focussing on strength in your workouts) and the definition very confusing.

My speed is 63, which I get (I’m not the fastest burpeeing person. But my strength is at 38 and I have for example Venus (with 4 x 50 pushups) regularly on my schedule. After 9 years of Freeletics, that’s a sad score, in my opinion.

It’ still not clear to me how strength is measured, sorry.

2 Likes

I totally agree. Each person has her best. Each one’s PB is different, as well as the weight they can lift depending on their body type. Even our period interferes! Why not compare my fitness level with my past, no my peers?

2 Likes

It can be actually frustrating! And, instead of giving more, I sometimes feel like giving up. I HATE to be compared with others. Why not comparing me to myself? After all, that used to be Freeletics moto, to be the best version of YUORSELF, to be a FREE athlete.

3 Likes

It’s been a while since the functionality appeared in the Freeletics app. Now we have more metrics like Skill, Stamina, Speed, Strength, and Consistency. Here is my current DAS:

// Level 128

I constantly monitor these numbers and try to figure out how to utilize and learn from them. However, I’m struggling to find the usefulness of DAS for my personal improvement.

Questions for @Ben / @Sylvain:

1. Where is the value for the user in the DAS functionality?
  2. How can I enhance my performance by analyzing my DAS?
    /* I find it challenging to learn from it, as the score lacks instructive insights without accompanying feedback. It presents itself as a mere numerical score without specific guidance such as “do this” or “try that” to make meaningful progress. This role is typically fulfilled by a coach, which I feel never appears in DAS functionality. So, what’s next?*/

Currently, it feels like receiving a school grade without knowing how to achieve a better one. We are unable to learn and improve.

1. What is the ultimate objective behind developing this functionality?
9 Likes