New to Freeletics and don't know what program to choose

Hi,

I’m a new member, or not active, but now I want to kick start my training!
But I don’t know what program to choose, I don’t want the easiest, but not the hardest either :slight_smile: (yet)

I want to train about 3-4 days /w and want to do workouts without equipment for weight loss and muscle growth.

Any ideas about what program I should pick?

Cheers

Hi @matti and welcome to the forum!

First of all congrats on kicking off your training! It is a great resolution!

I think either the Balance Burn or Strength and Stamina Journey could be good for you, according to what your saying.

Enjoy!

:clapclapstatic:

1 Like

Hey and welcome to the Community Mattias :wave:t2:

Balance Burn is a nice TJ to start off with :+1:t2:

I just want to say something about this “goal” :point_up:t2: To lose weight, you generally have to burn more calories than you’re taking in. For most people, that will require cutting your overall intake of calories and increasing how much you move about (here is where workouts help) to create a caloric deficit that can lead to weight loss.

When in a calorie deficit, you are essentially asking your body to break down fat, rather than to store it to make up for the calories that you are not ingesting, but still need, on a daily basis. A calorie deficit is essential for weight loss.

Now on to muscle growth. A caloric surplus – consuming more calories than you burn every day – is what tells your body to build muscle. And now you probably see a slight problem in having a goal to do both of these things (weight loss and muscle growth) at the same time.

You really should focus on one of these goals for the very best progress. Once you have made progress you are happy with, you can then switch to the other one.

Our Training Journeys are designed to help you best obtain your Training Goal-you will see different Journeys to help you lose weight or to gain muscle.

1 Like

Thank you a lot for your reply.
I thought the program that is bodyweight with high intensity would let me burn fat and build muscle at the same time, but you are right, I should pick one of them and focus on that.

What would you recommend for a 2m tall guy weight around 120kg, I would like to cut 20kg before summer, is that even possible? And what journey should I choose to focus on?

And regarding my calorie intake, I’m not eating junk, no drinking, etc.
Atm, my diet is high protein medium fats and only some carbs, but atm I don’t see changes in my body even tho it’s been 1 month of eating like this.

It’s definitely possible, though it is also a good idea to speak to your doctor if you want to try and lose so much weight so quickly. A generally accepted goal of losing 0.5kg to 1kg per week is usually considered ok, and for this you usually need to burn 500 to 1,000 calories more than you consume each day, through a lower calorie diet and regular physical activity.

So if you aim to lose 20 kg, you should be able to accomplish this in around 20 weeks. But it is not easy-90% of the work here is going to be done in your diet and what you eat.

To be honest, to some degree it doesn’t matter what kind of diet you are on-if you are on a high fat diet taking in more calories than you burn you will put on weight just as if you were on a high carb diet. The key is to be in a caloric deficit. It is important to bear in mind that diets high in fat tend to have a much higher caloric density than foods low in fat.

I find personally, a high carb low fat ( generally 75-80% carbs) plant based diet the best way for me to lose weight on a sustainable basis. I find this helps me to very easily be in a sustained calorie deficit.

If you are not seeing any change in your bodyweight you are eating too many calories and not moving enough.

If you haven’t already check out the below for some inspiration :point_down:t2:

1 Like

Just to add onto that! I also find it easier to contrĂ´le my weight with a higher portion of carbs and lower ratio of fat, as they are 2x more calories in a gram of carbs compared to a gram of fat (1gr carbs = 4 calories, 1 gram fat = 9 calories)

Hi I m looking for a nice programme to choose for muscle gain with barbell and dumbbell mix but I found them separately. which exercise is better for me?

@matti

Best of luck on your journey. Everything said above is a good advice.

I only wish to add consistency and patience is a must if change is your goal.

You will have high days and you will have low days, no matter what, stick to your training and soon enough it will become a lifestyle.

Hi, as far as I know, the barbell and the dumbbell journeys utilize only a barbell or dumbbells specifically. You could choose one of them and settle for just the barbell, or just dumbbells.

If you’d like to use both, a barbell and dumbbells, you can do that by choosing one of the other journeys and specifying in the settings that you have access to a barbell and dumbbells. The journey will then mix both of them into your workouts. Many journeys support this, one of them, for example, is Hybrid Strength. There are a few others - feel free to play around with the journey selector. You can also add some other equipment if you have it.

1 Like

Hey @sayhitoadi :wave:t2: I think @TomG is the absolute :crown: when it comes this subject :joy:

He’s got some great tips on the Forum in various places such as here :point_down:t2:

1 Like