Progressions bug in Tj Barbell Gain

Hi, I have done 6 sessions of the tj barbell strength and the recommended weight for the exercises has been increasing each time based on my feedback. Today I did a bench press in 4 sets of 10 reps with 48kg and I gave excellent technique feedback and ok intensity. In the next session, however, I find the same number of sets and repetitions but the recommended weight of 32.5 kg … for me it is not a problem because I will set a higher load, probably two or four kg more than the previous time, but there is definitely a bug to fix. All other exercises instead had a weight gain. Thank you.
Gian Luca

Samsung Galaxy S22 ultra

Android 13, One UI 5.1

Freeletics beta app 23.11.0

Italian Language

Italy

21.03.2023 8,55 am

1 Like

Same for the next squat session. Today I lifted 4x10 with 48 kg and next time Coach ask me to lift 4x10 with 32,5 kg.
My last feedback was “too light”…

2 Likes

Today the Coach suggests me to do 4*10 deadlifts with 40kg while last time I did the same sets/reps with 70kg and gave the feedback “weight ok”. Is there any logic in this? maybe it’s a lighter day of unloading or is it a bug? Thank you

Can someone explain to me why the coach offers me a 4x8 with 55kg in the next deadlift session when this morning I did a 4x8 with 80kg and gave feedback weight ok and technique excellent?
Thank you :pray:

Hi @Ben would you have an update on this?

2 Likes

Hi @Ben
I see this is a problem affecting many people for some time already. We would like to have it fixed sooner rather than later, because it messes up the paid coach feature :frowning:

1 Like

I received a response from support regarding this issue. The answer is as follows and I hope it will be useful.

"Here is an explanation on how the logic for weight training works depending on your feedback, and especially when you reduce the weight or reps in a barbell interval.
The underlying assumption is that such adjustments are made because you were unable to perform the original assignment. This could be due to hitting muscular failure, resulting in reduced reps, or anticipating that you might reach muscular failure and therefore reducing the weight.

It’s important to note that the first instance of failure in an interval is crucial. Regardless of what happens afterward, it is this initial instance of failure that determines the estimation of your capabilities for the next session.

In your specific case, you reduced the weight from 32.5kg to 32kg in the second warmup set. This warmup set was intended to be at 55% of your one-repetition maximum (1RM), meaning we estimated 32.5kg to be 55% of your 1RM. However, since it triggered the assumption of failure, we subsequently estimate that 32kg represents a much higher percentage of your 1RM. This estimation led to the significant weight drop in the subsequent interval that you described.

While there could be various reasons for lowering an assigned weight besides hitting failure, such as not having specific weight plates available or simply wanting to simplify the loading process, it was decided during the development of the user experience that separately asking you if you hit failure on each set would be too burdensome in terms of user interface complexity. Therefore, the logic described above was adopted.

I hope that helps you to understand a bit better the logic applied and also the limit that can happen during weight training via our app.

Best,"

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback!
However, while I understand the logic, this kind of unexpected problem is something that wouldn’t happen before, when we were asked to give feedback on every set if we had any difficulties. This problem arises from a wrong assumption made by the app, that ANY reduction in weight could mean failure, while it’s it’s admitted by the support team that they know that there could be other reasons, such as not having enough plates.

2 Likes