How to perform Leg Raises

Hey my guys, I’m not sure how to perform the leg raises. The description says that the lower back has to be on the ground the entire time. So idk if my back is weird or that I’m doing it wrong but when starting, I’d have to bend my back very much to have it touch the ground when lying down. (When my legs are higher up, my lower back is much nearer to the ground)
So how do you guys do the leg raises?
thanks and have a nice christmas week :v:

1 Like

in order to keep the lower back permanently in contact with the floor, the core muscles must be permanently tensed. Keeping my glutes tense all the time also helps.

1 Like

Alright, thank you!

And how do you touch the low back and head on the floor. Is it okay to not touch the head?

According to the movement standard, the hips, lower back and shoulders should stay on the ground. So it’s ok to raise your head. Personally, I don’t do it to avoid straining my neck. Keeping your lower back on the floor also becomes easier when you do the exercise with real control and slowly. I often see in workouts like Persephone or Dione that the legs are no longer stretched and the feet fall uncontrollably to the floor, the lower back won’t stay at the ground. Technique ahead of time.

1 Like

Nice. I think my big issue is mobility. That’s why I need to raise the head.

I tried that today, but my chin would have to be on my chest in order for my lower back to be even near the ground (while having a tense belly)… also I don’t think I weigh enough on my upper body or don’t have the strength yet to hold it bc when i keep my legs stretched near the ground, my upper body bobs up…
I think I’ll just try doing this excersize when I’m stronger…

Hey Anna :wave:t2:

Yeah, they are a pretty tough exercise if done correctly. I think one of the most common mistakes made in this exercise is not keeping the core engaged throughout the whole movement, as an example, treating the lowering of the legs as a kind of rest-the core does need to be engaged throughout.

I actually experience this myself at this time of year. If I don’t really engage my core my lower back often will rise off the ground, and this can definitely lead to aches and pains.

I took a quick video to demonstrate-first few reps I don’t keep my core engaged and relax during the lowering phase, the last few I engage my core throughout all the reps.

:clapclapstatic:

3 Likes

ah and you keep your arms over the head, that helps me too. alright thanks for the video and explanation everyone!

1 Like

Ah no! I should have clarified! :see_no_evil: I just put them up there so that you could see clearly the position of my lower back :joy:

I normally do have my arms by my side, palms down and slightly pressing in to the ground.

oh ok :smiley: still thanks :+1:

1 Like

Last thing Anna-I would really recommend trying the Leg Raises Skill Progression if you haven’t already :+1:t2: It’s a really great one for the core.

1 Like