Totally Random Exercises

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a subscription after a 5 year break from Freeletics. I love the idea and interface of the app, but I find the exercises to be totally random with an almost exclusive focus on legs and core. Does anyone else find this?

My understanding is that a well programmed workout should include all plains of motion - pull, push, hinge, squat etc - but Iā€™m two weeks in and all Iā€™m getting is core, legs repeat. (Iā€™m doing Strength and Stamina but Iā€™ve checked the other journeys and they all seem like a slight variation of the same routine).

Freeletics tends to say ā€˜the coach will adapt over timeā€™ but why doesnā€™t it start as it means to go on - with a well balanced routine that hits all muscle groups and movement patterns?

Iā€™ve also hear people say you can let the coach know about soreness so it can emphasise other muscle groups, but I canā€™t see this feature in the coach. Iā€™m hoping that if I do this, it will prescribe me upper body exercises.

Obviously I can do pushups, pulls, chins & rows myself, but doesnā€™t this kind of defeat the point of the coach?

My free trial expires in a few days and Iā€™m considering cancelling unless somebody can tell me thereā€™s method to the coachā€™s madness! Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Once I asked here if anyone else thought that the programmes were too upper body focused, so my conclusion is that they vary per user. :smiley:

A few parameters affect your workouts: the journey, the number of scheduled days per week, the equipment you specified, the exercises you may have excluded, the level that Coach thinks you have.

Iā€™ll take a guess and say that Coach is trying to build up your strength and doesnā€™t know your level fully yet.

I agree it is a bit confusing. Once you know the logic, it makes sense, but the truth is many people donā€™t know it and may get demotivated before the Coach adapts.

Things you can try:

• On the Coach screen, find Single exercises and perform and log some upper body exercises (e.g. pushups), so Coach learns that you can do them
  • Next time you do a Coach session, first click the ā€œAdaptā€ button - I want to exclude certain body areas - legs. Try playing with the Adapt option until you get a workout with upper body.
3 Likes

Thanks for your helpful reply. I ended up cancelling before the 14 day period. Iā€™m quite disappointed as I had high hopes for the app, but I couldnā€™t see any logic in 4-5 days straight of squats and crunches! I really hope Freeletics adopts a more balanced approach. Itā€™s a great app but the programming of workouts makes no sense to me at all. Cheers though!

2 Likes