Weight loss using Dumbbells. Help!

Hi,

I have recently finished the Dumbbell Gain journey and looking for a new journey now. :ghost:

I have a problem though ! :dotted_line_face:

I am only motivated by upper body dumbbell exercises and anything else just completely puts me off. Get me to do as much and as tough dumbbell upper body exercises and I thoroughly enjoy them, but bodyweight exercises or cardio’s just are not my thing. :skull_and_crossbones:

I’m not looking for motivation, I’m looking at possibilities of losing weight through what I enjoy doing. Need to get rid of this belly through only dumbbell exercises if possible. :alien:

So, any suggestions? :upside_down_face:

Hi @Amir and welcome to the Forum!

Congrats on finishing the Dumbbell Gain Journey!

There are a few things to consider for weight loss:

• the main factor in losing weight would the food you eat. Generally speaking, you would need to eat less calories than you burn throughout the day.
  • You cannot target a specific area of your body to lose weight
  • big compound exercises would generally burn more calories than isolation exercises (bench press, squat VS Shoulder press, biceps curls)

Now, if you really enjoy workout out with Dumbbells, why not start the Dumbbell Gain Journey again? :slight_smile:

Training your upper body everyday could lead to overtraining as your muscles won’t have enough time to recover in between sessions.

What I would do, is kicking off the Dumbell Gain Journey again, 3x per week. That way the Coach will give you full body workouts. That means that every sessions, you will workout your upper body but also lower body. Having upper body training at each one of the 3 sessions will keep you entertained! :smiley:

If you have more time throughout the week, you can add upper body God workout in your other days, such as Zeus or Herakles, Hades or Poseidon.

And then obviously make sure your food intake is on point as you won’t be doing a lot of cardio.

You could also do the Weight Free gain and add your dumbbells in the Coach settings, but I am not 100% sure of the training split is.

Generally speaking, the Coach will always try to give you a well rounded balanced training as your whole body needs to be trained, and not just the upper body.

I hope that helps!
:muscle: :clapclapstatic:

1 Like

Thanks a lot @TomG. That really helps. Can I trouble you for a bit of explanation around compound exercises vs isolation exercises? What are they? What’s the difference? Apart from the examples given, what are the others that I can add to my sessions? Thank you.

1 Like

Hey @Amir no problems!
compound exercises are any multi joints exercises: bench press, bent row, squat, deadlift, front squat, pull over.
And isolation exercises focus on one muscle in particular: biceps curls, triceps extensions, shoulder raises, calf raises, shoulder press.

Because the compound exercises will utilise more than 1 muscle groups, they will burn more calories, while building muscles.

1 Like

Thanks @TomG. You’re a rockstar.