CrossFit/ Hybrid Journey;old Gym-App

Hello dear Freeletics community,

I’ve been training with Freeletics since the days when training and nutrition plans were in PDF format. Since then, a lot has changed, and even after trying other providers, I keep coming back to Freeletics. The philosophy of Freeletics convinced me, which is why I immediately secured lifelong access.

My experience and the issue I want to address primarily concern Journeys involving weights. Currently, I feel like not much has been happening in this area for a long time.

Due to my profession, I’ve only been able to practice my main sport, kickboxing, sporadically in recent years, but Freeletics and its various customization options (e.g., 2x2 or equipment-free training) have always kept me covered.

Now, I want to get back into martial arts (1-2 times a week) and have a problem. On the other training days, I want to focus on strength training and functional exercises.

Hybrid Strength seems to be the most logical addition to my martial arts training. However, if I perform 2-3 additional sessions with it, I end up with separate days for a barbell-based workout, a HIIT session, and/or a bodyweight strength session (varies depending on the training week).

As you can see, I only have one weight-based strength session per week, which is not enough. The alternative program, “Training with the Barbell,” focuses solely on barbell basics, lacking the functional exercises.

In this forum, the question has arisen many times as to why there are no “mixed” training sessions like in CrossFit. This led me to the suggestion of using the old Freeletics Gym app.

And this brings me to my main concern. This existing app covers exactly what I and many other users wish for. It includes barbell basics, strength endurance units, and rowing. Almost perfect :slight_smile:

I have been using this app again, but due to my age, there are some malfunctions, which can be frustrating. Some are more severe than others. I would like to list a few malfunctions:

• You can watch exercise videos, but you can’t exit the video, and the app freezes, erasing the entire workout.
  • The app frequently freezes.
  • If you accidentally touch the screen, the exercise is skipped, and you can’t go back.
  • Changing training days deletes the entire week’s workouts.
  • There are no customization options (no equipment, no rowing, limited space, etc.).
  • No synchronization with the Freeletics profile (feed, points, daily score).

I’m aware that these malfunctions are due to the app’s lack of support. However, I wanted to present this issue, which unfortunately can’t be summarized briefly.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Why was almost everything from the old apps integrated except FL-Gym?

2.) Is integration possible or planned?

3.) Are there any plans for other Journeys in this direction (e.g., merging Journeys for muscle-building with barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, Hybrid Strength)?

There have been several suggestions for such Journeys in the forum, and Freeletics has already responded to some. I’m curious about the current status.

In advance, I want to thank you for your time. I hope this was clear, and I look forward to your thoughts.

Best regards,
Dennis

5 Likes

Hi @DennisDBD , thank you for your message and for starting this conversation. I think you’ve touched on a lot of points here.

As you said, the GYM app is no longer being supported or developed and hence why there are so many bugs.

I think the rowing integrations has been looked at many times by the FL team and has proven to be a real challenge to integrate. From my understanding, one of the main reason is that in the GYM app, everything was centered around barbell and rower, so the rower workouts were quite simple to integrate and the AI knew how to work around the muscular impact of a rowing workout. As the new FL app has way more exercises and equipments, it appears to be very hard to clearly define how a rowing workout would fit in a weekly schedule.

I would love to see a CrossFit style training feature, and I think something might be in the pipeline as we can see here in the FL website mobile version:

Another suggestion from FL was that they were working on the ability to merge 2 journeys at the same time, like having the Dummbell Gain Joueny and Running Journey, for example. I haven’t seen anything yet though…

:clapclapstatic:

2 Likes